Updated: Mar 12, 2020
This recipe is delicious, easy to prepare and sure to please. Can be made ahead or even frozen before cooking. Smart and tasty way to get kids to eat mushrooms!
*This recipe was developed with our dried Lion's Mane in mind. It can definitely be made with fresh Lion's Mane and if your looking for next level add some real crab! Slice 1/4 to 1/2 lb fresh Lion's Mane into 1/4 inch slices, toss with 1-2 TBS olive oil and roast with garlic flipping slices halfway through. Pulse together in the processor and skip the oil unless a little extra is needed to incorporate.
~2-4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
~1 egg (for vegan use flaxseed egg)
~3 TBS greek yogurt
~2 tsp dijon mustard
~2 tsp worcestershire sauce
~2 tsp lemon juice + a little lemon zest
~1 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
~1/4 tsp salt
~2 cups dried Lion’s Mane
~2 TBS olive oil
~1 cup panko, breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs
~1 TBS fresh chopped parsley or 2 tsp dried
~coconut oil or other oil for frying
(Can brush with butter or oil and bake instead)
1. Roast garlic in a 375-degree oven, drizzled with a little oil for 30-45 minutes until golden.
2. Whisk together egg, yogurt, mustard, worcestershire, lemon juice and zest, Old Bay and salt in a medium sized bowl, set aside.
3. Place roasted garlic in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times. Add Lion’s Mane and olive oil and pulse another 2-3 times. (For chunkier “meat”, just pulse garlic and oil)
4. Add Lion’s Mane, garlic, parsley and panko or alternative to the bowl, fold together. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to one day. (This is optional but will help form even cakes)
If baking, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. Form into 6 medium or 4 large, equally portioned cakes.
6. If frying, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cakes and brown about 2 minutes per side.
If baking, add cakes to a lightly buttered pan, brush tops with butter and place in oven for 12-14 minutes.
7. Optional - finish with a touch of sea salt and/or a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.