Updated: Mar 12
~1-2 pounds green beans, trimmed
~2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or oil of choice
~3/4 pound Oyster Mushrooms peeled into 1/2 inch pieces
~2 garlic cloves, minced
~Salt and Pepper
~Dash of cayenne
~2 Tablespoons flour
~1 cup chicken broth
~3/4 cup sour cream
~1/2 cup half and half
~1/2 cup parmesan cheese
~1/2 onion or 1 shallot, sliced thin
~1/4 cup flour or cornmeal or a combination of both
~Oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cook green beans halfway in a large pot of salted water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat a sauce pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter or oil to pan, swirl butter around until melted. Add mushrooms to pan and toss to coat. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook mushrooms 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Add minced garlic 1 minute before mushrooms are done. Pull out 1/4 cup and set aside.
4. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir to combine until flour is saturated with butter or oil. Add a little more if necessary to incorporate flour.
5. Slowly pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to low then add sour cream and half and half. Stir to combine and bring back to a simmer. Cook 5-7 minutes until thickened.
6. Once sauce is thickened, turn off heat. Add green beans and toss to coat. Pour mixture into a baking pan and top with reserved mushrooms then parmesan cheese.
7. Bake until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.
8. Heat oil in a skillet or dutch oven to 350 degrees. Toss sliced onions with flour or cornmeal. Once oil is hot, fry onions in batches until golden brown. Carefully remove from pan and place on a plate with paper towels.
9. Top casserole with onions. ENJOY!!